Read the full transcript for this episode here.
Today’s guest comes to us from the UK to talk about another business model that is helping teachers make a sustainable living: the music-co-operative.
David Barnard of the Musicians’ Union describes the culture shock teachers felt when the jobs they expected to always be there, suddenly disappeared, forcing them to become more independent and entrepreneurial.
Just a heads up, business culture and regulations are different around the world. The way the UK music co-ops handle lesson fees might not work where you live. Here in the US, the Federal Trade Commission would consider this price fixing a violation of antitrust laws.
With that disclaimer, you’re still going to get a ton of great takeaways about co-ops that you could apply in an American context.
For a full transcript of this episode, visit musicstudiostartup.com/transcriptepisode037
Vision & Values course: musicstudiostartup.com/vision
- Rock Steady https://www.rocksteadymusicschool.com/
- UK Musician’s Union https://www.musiciansunion.org.uk/
- UK Music Hubs https://www.artscouncil.org.uk/music-education/music-education-hubs
- Legal Structure: The Difference Between LLCs And LLPs https://smallbiztrends.com/2012/04/legal-structure-difference-llc-llp.html
UK Music Teacher Co-Operatives
- Newcastle Music Co-Operative http://www.newcastlemusiccollective.com/
- Swindon Music Co-operative https://swindonmusiccoop.co.uk/#
- Salisbury Area Music Co-Operative https://salisburyareamusic.co.uk/
- Milton Keynes Music Co-Operative http://www.mkmusiccoop.com/
- Bedford Music Co-Operative https://www.facebook.com/bedfordmusiccoop/
- Gloucestershire Music Co-Operative https://www.gloucestershiremusic.co.uk/
- North East Lincolnshire Co-Operative https://www.uk.coop/directory/music-lincs-limited
- Denbighshire Music Co-Operative http://denbighshiremusic.com/en/
- Isle of Wight Music Co-Operative https://iwmt.org.uk/
- Wrexham Music Co-Operative https://www.wrexhammusiccoop.com/en/
- 032 – Jake Estner on Using Group Lessons to Build a Sustainable Private Studio
- 031 – Ken Thompson on Building a Music School that Pays Sustainable Wages
- 016 – Lance LaDuke on Building a Portfolio Career as a Musician